Ogloza Fortney + Friedman represents businesses, executives, and high net worth individuals as plaintiffs or defendants in complex litigation matters throughout California state and federal courts, in arbitrations, and in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
Our team has decades of experience representing clients in a wide variety of industries such as financial services (venture capital and private equity, hedge funds, family offices, and financial institutions), software and SAAS, semiconductors and other technologies, real estate, and telecommunications. We represent companies of all sizes, from Fortune 100 public companies to early-stage start-ups, at any stage of life from founding to dissolution. We also frequently represent individuals facing complex disputes, from board fights and founder freeze-outs to securities fraud or soured business deals.
We represent clients in breach of contract matters, fraud cases, economic interference and trade libel claims, trade secret litigation, unfair competition and unfair practice litigation, investor and partnership disputes, post-acquisition disputes, and other complex matters. We also regularly provide pre-litigation counseling on these matters.
Moreover, we are equally comfortable representing clients as plaintiffs or defendants. Litigating on both sides of the “v” provides us a depth of insight that can be gained only from the actual experience of trying cases from an opponent’s perspective.
We recognize that complex litigation can be expensive and time-consuming. We also understand that a poorly conceived or executed litigation strategy can interfere with a client’s business objectives or result in a Pyrrhic victory. We make sure that we understand our clients’ business and objectives, and we work collaboratively with our clients to ensure that any litigation strategy is not just legally sound but also consistent with what our clients are trying to achieve.
Recent matters and successes include:
- Representing plaintiff-developer in a $100 million breach of contract action related to a proposed retail development throughout the BART system.
- Representing a well-known professional athlete in a breach of contract and right of publicity case.
- Successfully defended high-end kitchen appliance distributor in breach of contract case against a manufacturer.
- Achieved significant breach of contract settlement on behalf of a health-care consultant against a Fortune 500 medical technology company.
- Represented a publicly traded SAAS company in a post-acquisition and indemnity dispute.
- Successfully defeated class certification in an unfair practices case filed against a large hospital network. Representing client on appeal.
- Successfully defended medical imaging company in a fraud action filed by an early investor.