Dave Friedman is a business litigator with more than 19 years of experience representing technology companies, startups, audit and financial services firms, and directors, officers, executives, partners, investors, and high net worth individuals in a wide variety of complex disputes. He is peer rated “Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Friedman has extensive experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in breach of contract litigation, trade secret disputes, merger and acquisition litigation (including earn-out disputes), partnership and shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and other securities litigation matters, professional liability litigation, and employment disputes.
Mr. Friedman also represents companies, boards of directors, and individuals in internal investigations, regulatory inquiries, and litigation involving the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Prior to joining Ogloza Fortney, Mr. Friedman was litigation counsel at a litigation boutique and at the San Francisco office of Latham & Watkins LLP, where he practiced for twelve years.
Mr. Friedman’s recent representative engagements include:
- Defending a pre-public SAAS provider in litigation filed by one of the company’s early investors, a venture capital firm regarding a purported breach of an investment contract.
- Representing a limited partner in a fund liquidation proceeding in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Representing plaintiff, a co-general partner in a breach of contract/fraud litigation in a private arbitration.
- Representing plaintiffs hospital management companies and their executive in a bad faith and breach of contract against several insurance carriers related to claims made by a creditors’ committee.
- Representing founder, director, and former officer in a corporate control dispute and as a plaintiff in an employment arbitration.
- Defending privately-held medical imaging company in multiple lawsuits filed by its investors.
- Represented publicly-traded SAAS provider in an M&A indemnification dispute and former executive indemnification dispute.
- Represented a 50% shareholder of an historic, California winery in litigation against a co-owner in the Delaware Chancery Court and Napa Superior Court.
- Represented two plaintiff financial advisory firms against a family office regarding the failure to pay finders’ fees in connection with a $100 million real-estate transaction.
- Defended a Big Four accounting firm in an alleged fraud and professional negligence case involving a well-known venture capitalist and venture fund.
- Represented a well-known angel investor against a start-up company related to the company’s equity and debt financing.
- Defended a privately-held technology company and its CEO in an earn-out dispute in which plaintiffs alleged significant fraud and breach of contract damages. The case settled during trial in Orange County Superior Court.
- Represented the shareholder representative in an M&A dispute involving two venture-backed start-up companies.
- Represented investor in an SEC insider trading investigation resulting in the SEC taking no action.
Mr. Friedman also serves on the Executive Committee of the San Francisco Bar Association’s Securities Litigation Section.
He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley and his Juris Doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall).